6 Dangerous Indoor Allergens You Should be Aware of and How to Detect Them in Your Home

0
227
6 Dangerous Indoor Allergens You Should be Aware of and How to Detect Them in Your Home

There is no better feeling than coming home after a long day. Our homes are our safe place. It’s where family and friends gather, where we eat and sleep, and where we all come together for shelter and comfort. When there is any sort of danger in the house, we panic as we try to find solutions fast. Perhaps some of these damages aren’t always noticeable and could be lingering in the air around us.

Besides the seasonal pollen and other outdoor allergies that can enter your home, there are more deadly pollutants that could be in the air, some of which you’re unable to see or smell yourself.

To make sure you and your family are safe in your home, we put together the top 6 most dangerous indoor allergens to be aware of and how to detect them if they’re in your home:

1. Radon

Although colorless and odorless, radon is a deadly substance to have in your home. It is so toxic that it’s proven to be the second leading cause of lung cancer, behind cigarette smoking. Since there is no way of seeing or smelling radon in your home, you must get a radon test performed. Many times, radon seeps into your home through open foundation and wall cracks, gaps in floors and service pipes, and sometimes through your water supply. If you do see these cracks and gaps in your home, you should get them fixed whether you have radon in your home or not. If radon is detected, a professional radon mitigation contractor will offer solutions to reduce the radon levels in your home.

2. Asbestos

Found in many old paints, popcorn ceilings, and insulation, asbestos is a toxic chemical to breathe in and live around. Houses that have been built before the 1980’s should definitely be inspected for asbestos, as asbestos was commonly used in materials before then. Just like radon, asbestos is hard to find because it is odorless and invisible to the naked eye. Having an asbestos inspection performed in your home would be your safest bet in making sure your home is free of this toxin. Some common symptoms of living around asbestos include shortness of breath, regular dry coughs, and chest tightness or pain.

3. Mold

As moisture and humidity become a factor, mold is prone to grow. Perhaps your bathroom curtains or tub have visible mold growth. Or perhaps your humid, damp basement that isn’t visited too often have mold growing there. Regardless of where mold grows in your home, it is not safe to breathe in. Wherever the mold may be, the bacteria can travel to areas of your home through the air vents. Because mold is visible and has a distinct scent, it is easier to detect in your home. If you notice any mold in your home, reach out to a professional mold remediation and removal contractor.

4. Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide can be emitted through gases such as gas stoves, gas heating, and garages when your gas-powered car is running. When emitted, it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, therefore being hard to detect without the appropriate equipment. To determine if your home has carbon monoxide, there are home detectors that can be bought and kept in your home for year-round monitoring. The easiest way to get rid of carbon monoxide in your home is by opening up your windows to allow fresh oxygen to come in and for carbon monoxide to dissipate.

5. Lead

Lead, most known for being found in old paints and natural soil, is another toxic pollutant. If you live in a newer home, your chances of having lead in your house are much slimmer. However, soil, water, and other natural materials can become contaminated with lead poisoning. Make sure to test your house for lead if you are unsure or if you live in an older home.

6. Formaldehyde

An invisible, strong scented chemical, formaldehyde can be commonly found in certain house products (such as paints, glues, and paper products), certain cosmetic products for preservation, and resins used in the making of composite wood products. Normally when exposed to some formaldehyde, you can experience itchy/irritated eyes, skin, nose, and throat. Major amounts of exposure, however, does have the possibility of causing some form of cancers. No matter little or big, you should get your home tested for formaldehyde to be cautious, especially if you suddenly start to smell a strong pickle-like scent throughout your home.

Being aware of what could be lingering in your home is the first step to better air quality. Although, as stated above, some of these toxic air allergens are odorless and colorless, making them hard to detect without special equipment. To be 100% sure your home is safe from these 6 indoor allergens, get an Indoor Air Quality Test by a local qualified contractor. You can find one at HomePro Match today!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here