I love cooking and I love my kitchen. Trust me. That place is my paradise. I always try cleaning up and buying the best cooking tools because I believe that good cooking gadgets make my dishes yummier. A few days ago, I saw some nice wooden spoons but I’m not sure that they are hygienic. Are wooden spoons sanitary? This may be the first question in your mind as soon as you see them.
Let’s find out the answer. Some pieces of information can surprise you. After reading the knowledge below, you can easily decide to buy wooden spoons for the utensil set.
Are Wooden Spoons Sanitary To Cook?
People have used wooden spoons for a very long time. Nowadays, plastics and stainless steel spoons appear often in the kitchens; however, wooden spoons are still the favorite cooking tools of many housewives and cooks. Are wooden spoons hygienic? Yes, they are.
In the past, wooden kitchen tools used to be removed because people believed that they were a food safety hazard. The truth is they are safe for food and cooking if you know how to use, clean and store them.
In fact, this kind of old material is antibacterial naturally. It’s safer than some of man-made materials. Moreover, wooden cooking tools are easily washed.
Several pieces of research suggest that wooden spoons are hygienic. Liquids or bacteria that come in the wood will be blocked in wood cells. They don’t grow and be eliminated at last.
Wooden spoons with good status are safe and hygienic for food. You just need to learn how to keep them clean as new ones.
Read more: How to Clean Wooden Kitchen Utensils?
Good Things When Cooking With Wooden Spoons
- Because wooden cooking tools don’t have sharp edges, they don’t damage the surface of pans or pots. When you cook caramel, risotto, and candies with a nonstick pan, wooden spoons are the best choice. They are condensed liquid; therefore, wooden spoons are suitable for stirring them.
- Wood doesn’t transfer heat well, so you are not afraid of being burned while cooking with wooden spoons and ladle.
- Wooden cooking tools are good for cooking thick, viscous stews or batters. You totally can stir them with a wooden spoon. They can be used tiny crumbs from the bottom of pans.
- Wood is the material that can suffer high temperatures. You don’t have to worry that they melt in the hot stew, hot oil or when rested against a hot pan or stove eye. Especially, wooden kitchen tools don’t let chemicals out while some plastics do.
- Wooden spoons are safe for cooking. Some metal kitchen tools can react with the acid in food, like tomato sauces and lemon curds. Neither do wooden spoons.
Tips for Wooden Spoon Care
To keep wooden spoons and chopsticks away from bacteria and mold, you can follow some useful tips. They will maintain the good status of your wood cooking tools.
- Clean wooden spoons with hot water and dish-washing liquid. Use hands to clean spoons gently. You should choose a mild washing-up liquid. Wooden cooking tools can be washed in the dishwasher, but that’s not a good idea.
- The hot temperature of water in the dishwashing machine can dry wooden spoons and make scratches on the wood surface or even inside the wood. Hand-washing is suitable for wooden kitchen utensils.
- Let wooden spoons dry before placing them in the pantry.
- If the surface of your wooden spoons and chopping board is not smooth, you should use beeswax or mineral oil to brush. Don’t use olive oil or vegetable oil because they can make wood musty.
- When you see wooden spoons or cutting boards be cracked, you need to remove them. It’s necessary to throw them away because food can be stuck in the cracks.
- Wooden cooking tools can be stained by food with highly pigmented colors like tomato or ripen fruits. It’s still safe to use them. Stains will be faded.
- Wooden tools also can absorb smell from food with a strong smell like garlic or oil. They can transfer smell and taste to other food. To remove the smell, scrub the surface with lemon or a mixture of soda and water. This helps reduce the smell.
- Use one piece of sandpaper to rub tiny lumpy stains, then wipe the wooden surface with mineral oil or beeswax.
You can apply the tips above to keep your wooden cooking tools always clean.
You may want to read more: Tools for the Beginner Woodworkers
Take a look at this video to get more tips:
Wrapping It Up
So, are wooden spoons sanitary? You get yes as the answer to this question. You should buy some wooden cooking tools for your utensil collection. Beside plastic or stainless steel tools, spoons or ladles made of wood make you satisfied for sure. Your cooking becomes easier with these great tools.
Remember to bring care tips your kitchen and maintain high-quality wooden tools. You should throw wooden spoons with big cracks or dirty marks away. Badly moldy spoons shouldn’t be used anymore.