Our civilization has flourished across the areas that would cater to human requirements. All the settlements required water primarily. Years later, there are ample sources that cater to this vital requirement. However, wells have been a primary source of water in rural areas.
It is evident that decades later, this generation is facing problems in terms of natural resources. While most of the resources are polluted, water continues to be one of the most affected resources.
To solve this issue, methods like filtering came into existence.
Nature has supplied unlimited water in the form of groundwater. Filtration is one of the methods that make this contaminated water drinkable.
This article would sum up the advantages of healthy water, the disadvantages, and how to cope with it. It also explains the various methods used to clean water for drinking and household purposes.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Well Water
Before moving on to the filtration section and its significance, let’s learn about the pros and cons of well water. The main advantages of healthy water are:
- The lifespan of wells ensures more extended availability and access to drinking water for your domestic needs. This span can be 30-50 years, meaning that this source can supply your sustenance for years ahead.
- The consistency in bringing water to the household is worth consideration. Not only can you depend upon this resource, but you can also guarantee water availability in your house.
- It’s one of the most cost-effective ways to bring water delivered to your home, no matter where you live.
Why Not Well Water?
Well water might be a desirable option for your household, but only under certain circumstances. It becomes undesirable when it possesses one or all of the following properties:
- It tastes inappropriate. For example, it is extra salty, sweet, or bitter. This taste indicates the presence of one or more impurities.
- The company of hard water would have an impact on your domestic work. You won’t be able to do any task with this water, let alone drinking.
- Impurities like lead, excess minerals, and others can make the healthy water more acidic. This acidic nature can invite many diseases into your system if consumed. Also, they can erode the surface of your water carrying system that can cause further contamination.
- Some of this water content gets blackish. This sign shows that the water is no longer safe to use. We need to purify it as soon as possible.
- Although this water is consistent, the groundwater finishing rates are alarmingly higher. In that case, it’s hard to rely upon that source.
Read more: Well Water Or City Water – Which Is Better?
What Is The Filtration System, And Why Is It Useful?
Filtration is one of the techniques used to separate impurities from drinkable water. People has been using this technique for ages and continues to be a standard procedure in households where chemical operations can’t be performed (at homes).
Filtration systems commonly used in houses are known as the whole house filtration system for well water. This system comprises the following elements that help in cleansing the water:
- Activated Carbon: this component helps remove lead and pesticides materials when passed through the filter. However, the best part is that it can also remove iron. People also use activated carbon in many other products to remove impurities.
- Resin: These types of filters help in the deep removal of iron and other heavy components. The pros of these filters are durability and no effect on the flow rate of the water.
- Reverse Osmosis: By this process, we can remove the excess impurities through the help of a membrane. The heavier particles are drawn to the vacant side, leaving the first side pure.
- Water ionizer: This method is known as the ion exchanger method. These are of various types and work on specific pollutants. The principle behind this operation is using electrical charge to eliminate the impurities. You can get that confirmed along with the vendor itself.
- UV filtration: Using UV rays can kill bacteria, but it’s not reliable for heavier impurities.
- Infrared rays: This method can kill bacteria like the UV method, but in the same way, it’s not reliable. However, it can soften the water through its intensity.
These are some of the filtration system layers that help deep clean the water inside our houses. Besides the main point of cleaning, they do a lot. Below are the main benefits of this system.
Advantages of Well Water Filtration System
- The first and foremost advantage is removing contaminants and chemical impurities, carrying the risk of diseases and potential harm. Since most people use healthy water without any knowledge of hygiene, they get more prone to dangers.
- Moisture left in an open place without any system to care can dissolve and attract unpleasant color and smell. The technique of ultrafiltration or healthy water filtration can eliminate the majority of the smell and taste defects.
- More prolonged exposure to the surroundings can make the water acidic. Rural people or those who use it without awareness are vulnerable. If they keep using it, they will fall prey to a lot of diseases. A filtration system would act as a shield against this acidic water.
- The filtration system also helps free the water of all the infections caused by the algae or others.
- The most affected part of any water reservoir is the sediments’ part. We can find most of the pollutants in the bottom or sediment portions. Even after cleaning from the surface, we can’t consume water until the sediments cleaning process. A good and reliable filtration system helps in getting rid of the settled impurities.
- Water sources not available for drinking for more days are hardened. Hard water makes activities like washing and others challenging. Besides removing versatile impurities, a sound filtration system softens the hard water so that we can use it again.
- Excess minerals are something that always comes with water despite a deep cleaning with an advanced filtration system. For this purpose, we need to clean the cleansed water thoroughly to eliminate these extra particles.
- Microorganisms are also present in the water and tend to stay long to infect the drinker. Amoeba and some other organisms remain in the water and leave their traces.
- A sound filtration system removes all the dirt, impurities, and hardness of water that can cause acute or prolonged illness along with permanent organ damage. Many water-borne diseases have also been treated to impair some organs of the people.
According to research, almost 60-70% of people suffer from the lack of drinkable water in rural areas. This issue remains, and developing a cost-effective water purification/filtration system might solve the case.
We found the same issue in some urban areas, but filtration systems covered it. Thus, we need to understand the need and significance of installing house filtration systems in the houses. Most of us have access, yet many people lack this essential facility. Thus, spreading awareness and knowledge about this issue can protect thousands of people from risk.