When you start to build your house, you should care about noise-reducing solutions. The level of noise you must suffer from will affect your mental and physical health. The noise which is loud or quite will depend on your living environment. Barking dogs, honking horns, blaring sirens, lawnmowers, traffic noise, and the noisy neighbors will break the quiet atmosphere. You can consider using double pan windows. Do double pane windows reduce noise? Let’s find out their features.
Noise pollution has a bad influence on your mental health. If you feel annoyed or frustrated by noisy factors, you had better look for different solutions. Change the type of window is a popular solution.
Do double pane windows reduce noise? Are they useful for noise reduction? Double pan windows are more effective than single-pane windows. However, it’s difficult to realize the difference between the 2 types of windows in a noisy noisy environment.
Poor Noise-Stopping Capabilities of Double Pane Windows
Double pane windows work better than single-pane windows. Dual pan glass is not effective. In an environment of silence, it’s still quiet, but in an environment of noise, it is hard to feel the difference between double pane windows and single ones.
When it comes to the structure of double pane windows, you will see two pieces of glass are put within the same frame and vibrate together. Glass of windows is often thin. The air in the middle space of 2 panes makes vibrations slower. The insulation values of single-pane windows are much worse than double pane windows.
Glass gets certain sound frequencies. The noise at that frequency is nearly invisible to the glass, then the noise can rush through the glass.
Different ways noise goes through windows:
- Outside vibrations carry the noise through the glass and frames. This causes internal noise to rise.
- Poor seals and air infiltration between window joints make the noise go into your house
How Soundproofing Windows Work
How can you cut down on the volume of sound? To decrease the noise, you need to create an obstacle between the sound and ear that captures the noise. Houses have roofs, walls, and windows that prevent noise from going into the house.
The window manufacturers have applied methods to reduce noise and increase the sound transmission class rating of windows:
- Increase mass (improve the thickness of the glass)
- Increase air space (increase the distance between window panes)
- Apply laminated glass, a glass-plastic-glass sandwich that weakens noise transmission
Energy Efficiency of Soundproof Windows
That windows are energy efficient or not is based on gas and low-E coating between thermal panes. They have the usage of cutting down heat transfer and increasing energy efficiency.
Manufacturers often use laminated and thicker glass for soundproof windows and expand the air gaps between panes to block noise.
You can easily make a soundproof window energy-efficient by adding low-E coatings. But you can’t easily make an energy-efficient window soundproof without changing its glass and construction.
To create the energy-efficient ability for a soundproof window, you need to increase low-E coating. To make an energy-efficient window soundproof, you have to edit its construction and glass.
Read more: Turning Your Quieter Home Ideas Into Reality
Other Solutions for Noise Reduction
The sound goes into your house not only through the windows but also other stuff:
- Window seals and window frames with chasms and cracks will allow the sound seep into your living space. Try to fix holes around windows to stop the noise and check the noise level.
- The sound which is noisy or quiet also depends on sliding. You should consider using vinyl and wood because these materials are efficient to block sound more thick stone and brick block
- Notice insulation in interior and exterior walls. The more insulation you use, the less sound you get.
- Dryer vents, soffits, chimneys, and attic in your house are holes that let the sound go into your house
There are some tips to turn down the volume inside your house:
- The sound seems to become louder in a quiet house. You can try to use white noise devices such as the ceiling fan, air conditioner, and dehumidifier. If outside noise bothers your sleep, you can turn on sleep devices that release the sound of rain and sea waves.
- Use kinds of stuff and materials that absorb the sound. It’s good to use rugs, curtains, and fabric-covered pieces of furniture and grow plants in the pot.
- Seal around door casings, light fixtures, and receptacle boxes. to prevent the noise from going through floors and walls.
See this video:
Do double pane windows reduce noise? They can help you to cut down the noise but not much. Double pane windows will be useful in noise reduction if they are properly designed. You need to have it glazings laminated with PVBb or glaze with different thicknesses to prevent resonance, etc.