How Do Anti-slip Mats Work? Non-slip mats are rubber matting used to prevent slips and trips in the workplace. These mats are typically used in areas where liquid spillages on the floors are frequent during work. We should only use Non-slip mats to avoid slipping and enhance our balance.
What Causes Falls?
Slips and trips can be caused by an unintended or unexpected change to the contact between feet and ground or walking surface.
Good housekeeping is essential to preventing slips and trips and falls. It includes:
- Immediately clean up all spills
- Marking wet areas and spills
- Mop or sweep debris off floors
- Remove all obstacles from walkways, and keep walkways clear of clutter
- Securing (tacking, taping, etc.) Carpets, mats, and rugs that are not flat-laying
- Always close file cabinets or storage drawers
- Covering cables that cross walkways
Any other preventive measures, such as installing specialty flooring or footwear, will not be effective if you don’t have good housekeeping habits.
The next step in preventing slips and trips is to modify or change walking surfaces. You can improve safety and decrease the risk of falling by replacing or recoating floors and installing mats, pressure-sensitive abrasive strips, abrasive-filled coatings, and metal or synthetic decking.
High-tech flooring needs to be maintained just like any other flooring. Non-slip, resilient flooring reduces fatigue and helps to prevent slips.
Proper footwear is essential for preventing falls in workplaces with oily floors or workers who spend a lot of time outside. It is necessary to consult the manufacturers as there are no shoes with anti-slip features under any conditions.
Typical Uses Of Anti-slip Mats
You can use anti-slip mats indoors and outdoors for children, seniors, adults, and workers.
1. Industrial Uses
- Manufacturing plants that handle liquids such as oils, water, and soaps.
- Food processing factories for food and beverage processing
- Offshore oil platforms, where oil and water can cause a hazard to smooth surfaces
- Ladders and stairs to improve vertical traction
2. Public areas
- Boat decking in areas around lakes and oceans
- Gym equipment and floors can get damp from sweat and humidity.
- Restaurant kitchen flooring and walkways may collect grease or fluids
- Outdoor stairs for areas susceptible to rain or condensation
3. Personal Uses
- Bathrooms with floors, bathtubs, or showers may require extra traction
- House decks & walkways for residents & guests
- Cell phone traction pads for car dashboards
What Is The Working Principle Of Anti-slip Mats?
Anti-slip mats are designed to protect people from falling in wet or dry areas, such as standing or walking.
Anti-slip mats are an effective way to avoid slip hazards.
- Capture liquids/debris using drainage holes that are practical so the user can’t stand directly on them.
- Terrains with textured surfaces provide more excellent grip underfoot.
- High-quality product composition to ensure wear resistance and chemical stability.
Safety and health professionals need to be aware of possible slip hazards and prevent them from using anti-slip mats. Slips can lead to severe and minor injuries that impact productivity. Everyone must work together to make sure they identify hazards and use safety mats correctly.
You may want to read: 11 Tips For A Deep Sleep
What should you look for in an Anti-slip mat?
1. Traction and grip
Anti-slip mats with a durable surface provide superior traction and grip for workers. These mats have walking surfaces that can withstand slippage even when they are wet or covered with oily or greasy substances.
Different applications might require different types of anti-slip flooring. We may need a mat that is resistant to oils and greases.
We can order standard sizes of anti-slip mats or a custom cut to fit your work area. Mats that are custom-fitted provide superior floor coverage and reduce the chance of slips and falls.
I hope this article about how anti-slip mats work provides you helpful information about this type of mat. If there is anything we miss about anti-slip mats, let us know in the comment below. To never miss out on our newest articles, please find the bell at the bottom corner of your desktop to subscribe to our push notification! Thank you for visiting Greenhouse Center, and I am looking forward to seeing you around soon!