Upholstered furniture, including suede sofa, bed sets, and many others, is quite comforting. To maintain the cleanliness of the upholstered furniture, you need to clean it regularly to keep the sleek finish. After a tiring day, you need a nicely finished suede sofa to relax and unwind. Have a look at the handy tips on how to clean different types of upholstered furniture:
THINGS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED:
- Dry cloth
- Water bowl
- Baby wipes
- Multipurpose brush
- Vacuum cleaner including upholstery attachment
TIPS ON HOW TO CLEAN UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE
Leather, fabric, and suede material are the common materials used for upholstery.
- For fabric, you can use a microfiber cloth, rayon, or acetate. Now vacuum the entire upholstered furniture along with the seams.
- Vacuum the entire furniture area to collect the dust particles. Now spray the furniture with a cleaner and check it mildly.
- You can also rub the upholstered furniture but avoid using colored fabrics as they might stain your furniture.
- Make sure you use cleaners with PERC or Perchloroethylene. This chlorinated ingredient can have dangerous effects on your health.
- For leather material, start with vacuuming and go inside nooks and seams. Make sure you don’t leave any particles.
- Apply the leather cleaner over the dry cloth. You can also use vinegar for cleaning leather. Leather cleaner is essential to clean leather upholstered furniture as moisture can cause mildews.
- For removing stains on leather furniture, use sprays. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and blot it with the damp cloth. Now use a dryer or let it dry on its own.
- For leatherette upholstered furniture, you can use a multipurpose cleaner.
- Dampen the fabric with water and wipe the furniture. If there are stains, you can use nail polish remover for cleaning the area.
- For suede upholstery, as you know, it’s gorgeous and boasts a luxurious finish.
- Avoid using water on suede as its unable to stand. For cleaning the stains, you can use baking soda and vinegar. Check out some detailed tips on cleaning the suede sofa from the pros.
- For tea, coffee, and juice stains, you can use vinegar and cloth or baking soda to absorb grease stains. After a few hours, brush away the baking soda with a suede brush.
Other essential tips for upholstered furniture
- Avoid placing upholstered furniture in direct sunlight or heat as it damages the material life.
- Keep plumping the cushions regularly. You can also rearrange them to distribute even the amount of wear.
- Do not place any printed material or newspapers on the upholstered furniture as the ink might spread and leave stains.
- Weekly vacuuming is suggested.
- Call professional services for the annual cleaning of the upholstered furniture.
- Always test before cleaning the upholstered furniture.
Upholstered furniture needs cleaning after every week or once in a month at most. For stubborn and unmanageable stains, you can also call for professional help. Upholstered furniture is luxurious, and it deserves regular cleaning. Make sure that you can’t use all sorts of cleaners on upholstered furniture as they might damage them. Clean the furniture effectively and make use of these tips.