Mold is one of those things that are very hazardous to your health, and more so for the elderly and for very young children. That’s why it’s important that you know how to get mold out of carpet, so if you ever do find it there you’re able to remove it quickly and completely before it turns into an even bigger problem for yourself or other members of your family.
After all, mold can cause anything from breathing troubles to severe health problems that could stay with you for a very long time to come.
What You Need
Eye Protection – Any kind of chemicals or mold itself can be very dangerous to your eyes. Putting on eye protection such as goggles can definitely protect you and make sure you’re not going to get any other trouble when the mold is gone.
Face Mask – This is an extremely important one, no matter how long the mold has been there you want to make sure you’re not breathing in any more than you already have as it can cause extreme breathing and health problems. A good quality mask is crucial for your overall health.
Rubber Gloves – Don’t touch the mold at all if you can help it because it can easily spread to other parts of your house or cause irritation on your skin or anything else you touch. Rubber gloves will protect your hands.
Mold Testing Kit – You want to make sure that what you have is actually mold before you work on how to get mold out of the carpet. If it does not mold you can use other methods but if it is you’ll want to get started with some of the tools we’ve got here.
Liquid Dish Detergent – You can use just about any type of liquid detergent, but make sure that it has antibacterial properties and that it’s not going to damage your carpet. Mixing it with some water is your best option.
Water – You always want to use water to wash out any of the chemicals or products you might use on your carpet and make sure that you don’t have anything too strong sitting on your carpet where it can cause damage.
Lysol – This cleaner actually contains bleach, which means it’s going to help kill off the mold rather than just washing it away. You’ll want to mix this with a bit of water to get a good solution that won’t bleach your carpet but will kill the mold.
Bleach – If Lysol doesn’t do it you’ll want a straight bleach or ammonia that will definitely get deep into the carpet to get that mold out and kill it off. You’ll want this mixed with water to make sure you don’t completely bleach your carpet and to keep it diluted enough that it is less harmful.
Carpet Cleaner – If you have an actual carpet cleaner it’s definitely going to be a better option for your cleaning process, though you’ll still need the solutions to help. This is going to really get your solution worked into the floor and make sure that it’s getting rid of the mold.
How to Get Mold Out of Carpet
- Put on your protection. Make sure that your goggles are in place and your mask and rubber gloves are on as well. You don’t want to have any contact with that mold or anything it’s touching.
- Use the mold test to make sure that you know where the mold is present. Test the carpet to make sure it is mold, but also test other areas of the house to make sure the mold hasn’t spread to those. If it has you’ll need to know more than how to get mold out of carpet, you’ll also need to get it out of walls and fabrics.
- Next, mix water and your liquid dish soap together and scrub it into the carpet where the mold is. You can do this with a shampoo machine for rugs or a carpet cleaner to try and get as much as you can out of the carpet, but you’ll likely need something stronger in order to really get in there.
- Mix one cup of Lysol with a bucket of water to get a good cleaning solution or use one cup of bleach with the bucket of water. Make sure that you don’t mix the Lysol with the bleach either in a bucket or on your carpet as this can cause a toxic gas that’s definitely harmful to you and your family. You want to spray the solution onto the carpet and let it sit for about 20 minutes before you vacuum it up. The mold should come out too.
- Use a cloth to help sop up all the extra moisture and water in the carpet after your done so new mold isn’t going to develop.
- Use your carpet cleaner to scrub the entire area and get a good, deep cleaning. This can help get any of the rest of the mold out and you can use any of the solutions in the carpet cleaner to really make sure you’ve cleaned the area.
All-in-all, you’re going to have a much cleaner carpet when you’re done with this process. It may take a bit of extra time, but it’s definitely going to keep you and your entire family safe, which is really important if you’re thinking there’s mold around.
No one wants the health problems that come with living in a house full of mold, and it can be especially hazardous to your older or younger loved ones, so if you don’t know how to get mold out of carpet, you’ll want to look through this article to make sure that you do now. It’s not too difficult to learn how to get mold out of carpet, so make sure you’re prepared in case it’s ever something that you’ll need to do, though you definitely won’t want to be in that position.