So many people have to face insomnia daily. It is an awful thing which has a bad influence on millions of people. Although you are young or old, you can have poor sleep. However, the old easily get insomnia. Let’s find natural sleep remedies for elderly!
Relationship Between Sleep And Age
When you become older, you may have to suffer sleep problems as other seniors. It’s normal if you sleep habit changes a little bit. Nevertheless, if you get some symptoms like sleepwalking disorder or disrupted sleep, you need to look after your sleep as soon as possible. Don’t ignore the symptoms! They can get worse and turn into a nightmare.
Sleep is an essential part of life. Your health will deteriorate if you don’t sleep enough or have disturbed sleep. As you know, good sleep heals cell damage to the body and enhances memory and consolidation of the effort of your brain. Short of sleep can ruin your physical and mental health.
If the elderly don’t have sufficient sleep, stress and concentration and memory issues will come to them. Moreover, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and others have more chances to attack older adults.
We hope that you can improve the sleep quality of your old family members with some pieces of advice below.
Whatever age you are, you are likely to suffer sleep issues. The old are more probably get insomnia. It’s necessary to realize dangerous symptoms and have prompt treatment.
- Be hard to fall asleep though you are exhausted
- Be hard to continue sleeping after being awakened
- Be tired in the morning though you have a night’s sleep
- Feel crabby or asleep during the day
- Have trouble to stay awake when sitting still, watching television, or driving
- Have the struggle to concentrate
- Must use sleeping pills or alcohol to fall asleep
- Be hard to take control emotions
Reasons For Insomnia In Old People
- Sleep habits and sleep environment: Each day sleeping in different hours, drinking alcohol before bedtime or falling asleep in front of the television can make you get trouble sleeping gradually
- The bedroom that is not comfortable will impede sleep. Light, smell or temperature affects your sleep quality.
- Diseases or health issues: If you have a headache or backache, it’s not easy to sleep well. Several diseases or pain in the body interrupt your sleep.
- Menopause and post menopause: In the menopause period, women get hot flashes and night sweats, so their sleep is ruined. Even in the post-menopause period, they will get insomnia.
- Insufficiency of exercise: If you don’t let your body move or practice, you will be too inactive, then never feel sleepy.
- Stress and anxiety can cause insomnia.
- Lack of social engagement and lack of sunlight affect your health and mood in general, then your sleep is affected in particular
- The elderly are more likely to suffer Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) and sleep-disordered breathing problems such as snoring and sleep apnea.
How To Improve Sleep Habit
How about learning natural sleep remedies for elderly?
- Increase the melatonin level: Make use of artificial lights at night to boost the production of melatonin and make you sleepy. You can install low-wattage bulbs and turn off the TV and computer at least one hour before going to bed.
- You are advised not to read from a backlit device at night like an iPad. You can use an eReader that uses an additional light source.
- Create a comfortable sleep environment. You will need a quiet, dark, and cool bedroom.
- Build and keep your sleep schedule. Go to sleep and get up at the same time each day. Maintain it as a habit. You may go to bed earlier than other days if you feel asleep.
- Try to take a bath, listen to music or practice a relaxation method such as meditation or deep breathing can help you relax before bedtime.
- Don’t use too many sleep aids and sleeping pills. Notice that many sleep aids and sleeping pills contain side effects. You should not take them for long-term use.
- Improve nap: You can try to nap in 15-20 minutes to get energy
Read more: Top 10 Tips For Getting A Good Night’s Sleep
Enhance Lifestyle, Diet, And Exercise
- Don’t take caffeine late in the day. Don’t drink coffee, tea, soda, and eat chocolate late in the day.
- Don’t drink alcohol before sleep because it will ruin your sleep.
- Don’t go to bed when you’re hungry. You can eat low-sugar cereal, yogurt, or drink warm milk.
- You should decrease sugary foods. Say no with big meals or spicy foods just before sleep because they may result in indigestion or discomfort.
- Swimming or other water exercises. Your body is moved and relaxed while swimming. You will healthier and sleep well at night.
- You had better try other activities and sports like dance, golf, lawn bowling, cycling, and running.
See more tips to fight against insomnia:
These natural sleep remedies for elderly are very effective. It’s not difficult to have treatments. You can benefit from them.
It’s essential to see a doctor if your sleep problem is serious. Solving sleep issues is not easy and it takes a lot of time.